lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Add config option for max paragraph width

From: Robin Stern
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Add config option for max paragraph width
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 17:21:51 -0700

Using COLUMNS=80 doesn't work in atleast one situation. I use tmux in a way
that launches multiple panes from a script, and sends keys to the panes to
launch a command. Even if I send "COLUMNS=80 lynx" or preset lynx to an alias
"COLUMNS=80 lynx", it seems to work only for the first page that is launched by
lynx. When I click a link that redirects lynx to another page it occupies the
eitire width of the screen for that page. My suspicion is that there is some
race condition in COLUMNS=80 being set by user command and that from a WINCH
that arrives from the system. Using "stty cols 80" bypasses this problem, but
is a pain because unless one writes a wrapper script arround lynx, they can't
have lynx just work as expected in all enviornments. IMO all user will benefit
if lynx adds a commandline option "-cols=NUMBER" (given "-width=NUMBER" is
already taken for dumps). If passed, it will override enviornment variable
COLUMNS, and won't be affected by WINCHes to decide the column width.