lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] ANN: lynx2.9.0

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] ANN: lynx2.9.0
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:47:49 +0000

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 06:47:23AM -0800, Chime Hart wrote:
> Unrelated, while I am here, I am useing rdrview with LYNX to read web-pages
> without any tool-bars. While many pages load just fine, the text of articles
> have these anoying tildas, like this example:
> Israel   ~B  ~D s Argument at The Hague: We are Incapable of Genocide

I don't know what rdrview is, but it sounds like Lynx is feeding it the
UTF-8 version of an apostrophe (most likely U+2019) and it's interpreting
it wrongly.  I've no idea how that becomes "~B ~D".

You might be able to fix that with a lynx.cfg file that contains the
below two settings, but it might be better to see if you can make
rdrview UTF8-aware.

CHARACTER_SET:us-ascii
LOCALE_CHARSET:false

imc