m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] m17n Tamil changes - Help required

From: K. Handa
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] m17n Tamil changes - Help required
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 00:14:48 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Srikanth Lakshmanan <address@hidden> writes:

> Thank you very much for your reply. I was able to figure out that just
> putting mim files on m17n folder will help me test.

Putting mim files under ~/.m17n.d/ is easier.  Files there
overwrite the files in the system-wide directory.

> I have updated the
> gist[1] with changes for ta-phonetic.mim, ta-tamil99.mim and patch files.
> entry in Changelog file would be 'Adding missing characters ஶ்,க்‌ஷ் (non
> conjunct) series, symbols and fixing SRI ஶ்ரீ as per Unicode 4.1
> guidelines.'

> Rationale behind the change
> 1. Character ஶ் SHA and its vowel series was introduced in Unicode 4.1 and
> the definition of SRII was changed from U+0BB8 U+0BCD U+0BB0 U+0BC0 to
> U+0BB6 U+0BCD U+0BB0 U+0BC0 [2]. Added keys for SHA, modified SRII to be
> inline with latest Unicode standard.
> 2. There was no provision for entry of non conjunct க்‌ஷ் (KSH with a Zero
> Width Non Joiner inbetween) in both these layouts. They are now added.
> 3. I have also fixed couple of bugs, added missing symbols in
> ta-tamil99.mim and is now perfectly inline with the latest standard
> reference published[3] by Gov of Tamil Nadu.

> I have tested both these layouts and the changes with test cases of
> Wikimedia IME[4] and they are fine. I have also added comments on both the
> mim files about the changes. Please let me know if you require more
> information for making the change.

Thank you for the info.  I added I. Felix
<address@hidden> (the author of ta-tamil99.mim) in CC:.
I'll wait for their (I mean address@hidden and
address@hidden) for a while.   If there's no responce in
a week or so, I'll commit your changes.