m17n-list

[m17n-list] Typing the devanAgarI abbreviation sign + fork request.

From: Vishvas Vasuki
Subject: [m17n-list] Typing the devanAgarI abbreviation sign + fork request.
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:21:09 -0700

Hi Kenichi.

I would like to be able to type the devanAgarI abbreviation sign http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/0970/index.htm .

1] Can you please modify hi-itrans.mim (or a fork thereof, as explained below) to include the following map:
  ("/." "॰")

2] Instead of (or along with) the above, can you please fork hi-itrans.mim into hi-optitrans.mim, so that we can add a lot of common symbols (arrows, smilies) which a certain section of devanAgarI users may like. In this case, you can just add this section:
========
 (misc
  ("//" "/")
  ("/..." "…")
  ("/." "॰")
  ("/>" "→")
  ("/<" "←")
  ))

(state
 (init
  (starter (pushback 1) (shift intermediate))
  (misc))
========
Notes about the above:
2a] In late 2013, we had a discussion about this, with several people expressing their opposition to such non-devanAgarI additions to *.itrans.mim for the fear of increasing typo-rate and because everyone supposedly uses different symbols and different shortcuts. However, I feel that a section of people would love more expressiveness (out of the box), even at the cost of a slight increase in typo-s. So, such a facility (achievable by a fork) is worth it.
2b] You had suggested an alternative: starting at (say) xyz.mim, one would type / to switch out to a common symbol.mim map (for typing one symbol at a time) and then be automatically returned to xyz.mim. But, that seems not to have materialized in the intervening 1.5 years - Let us have this in hi-optitrans.mim in the meantime.

Vishvas /विश्वासः