m17n-list

Question about the recent changes to hi-itrans.mim

From: Mike FABIAN
Subject: Question about the recent changes to hi-itrans.mim
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 21:29:34 +0200

I got some feedback off mailing list to the recent changes in
hi-itrans.mim. A mapping for “L” was already there, the mapping “ld” was
removed, and mapping for “LH” and “LLL” were added:

   ("L" "ळ्")
-  ("ld" "ळ्")
+  ("LH" "ऴ्")

[...]

+  ("LLL" "ळ्ळ्")

Apparently the characters produced by typing “L”, “LH”, “LLL” are not used
in Hindi but only in Sanskrit.

Therefore, these characters are not necessary for “normal” users, only
for scholars and experts. “normal” users might be confused when
accidentally typing “L” when some weird character appears.

I don’t really understand why it should be better to not map anything
to “L”.  Even if “L” isn’t used in Hindi, is that really a reason not
to put anything useful on that key?

Personally I use t-latn-post.mim to type German a lot and it doesn’t
bother me at all that it is possible to type many accented characters
which are not used in German.  I might sometimes get one of these by
accident if I mistype, but that doesn’t make the typo any worse, it
would have been a typo on any case. And from time to time I want to
type other accented characters so I like it that they are there.

So why should it be bad to map “L”, “LH”, “LLL” to something useful
instead of leaving it empty? Even if it is only useful to scholars and
experts, why not add it? It cannot do harm to normal users, can it?

Does anybody have opinions on that?

By the way, when I use the online tool
http://aksharamukha.appspot.com/converter/ to convert from
Roman(ITRANS) to Devanagari, I get:

  LH -> ळ्ः

which is different from what is currently in hi-itrans.mim:

Is that a problem?

--
Mike FABIAN <mfabian@redhat.com>
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。