m4-discuss

Debugging M4 [Was Re: speedup bootstrap]

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Debugging M4 [Was Re: speedup bootstrap]
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:03:29 +0100

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
You know, I looked at sppeding up bootstrap for myself about a year ago, but couldn't figure out the cause.

Don't be fooled into thinking that this patch needed less than a few
months, on and off.  I don't know how experts profile m4 scripts, but I
first tried removing macros one by one (starting with a good guess) and
ended up manually #define'ing DEBUG_SYM in m4-1.4.3 together with a form
of manual statistical profiling: interrupt m4 in gdb every now and then,
look where it's at.  :)

I don't consider myself an expert on debugging m4 code (although I'm
perhaps an expert on debugging the engine itself), and I too add manual
#defines of the various DEBUG_* cpp symbols and recompile, and make
judicious use of gdb to step through things.

I have a vague recollection of having seen an m4 engine profiling patch
and/or discussion on this list or Rene's site a few years ago.  And the
M4-2.0 architecture is supposed to help with writing introspection plugins.
I have a profiler plugin on my TODO list for post 2.0 release.

valgrind's massif for overall memory usage profiling showed me m4 uses
little heap until it starts outputting; that's what finally got me to
get to the point that we needed to make use of storage in order to gain
on execution time.  Some off-list discussion with Stepan (thanks, BTW!)
got me on the right track.

Valgrind is x86 specific unfortunately :-(  I'll have to wait for Mactel
boxes before I can use it...

Cheers,
        Gary.
--