m4-discuss

Re: dumpdef output destination

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: dumpdef output destination
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:01:42 +0000 (UTC)

Eric Blake <ebb9 <at> byu.net> writes:

> So which option should I use?
>
> Option 1 - make 1.6 dumpdef always go to stderr
>
> Option 2 - make 2.0 dumpdef always go to debugfile

I just thought of a new option:

Option 3 - add a flag to both 1.6 and 2.0 debugmode that controls where dumpdef
output goes

Would allow the client to choose (autoconf would choose stderr, but the default
would be debugfile)
Friendly to autoconf, which is already using another debugmode flag added in m4
1.6 to control whether popdef(undefined) triggers an error

> My personal preference is option 1, unless someone can speak up with a
counter-
> argument soon.

At this point, option 3 is the most flexible (it allows both behaviors, thus
preserving backwards compatibility).  What letter should I consume as the
mnemonic for the ability to redirect dumpdef to stderr, remembering that
acdefilmpqstxv are already claimed?  Maybe 'o' for 'Output dumpdef to stderr'?

--
Eric Blake