m4-discuss

Using m4 between the C preprocessor and compiler?

From: Raphaël “Kena” Poss
Subject: Using m4 between the C preprocessor and compiler?
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 15:37:42 +0200

Dear all,

as part of a project I am looking for ways to perform context- insensitive but parameterized substitutions on C code. It happens that m4 delivers well for what I need to do. Except for the following.

For now I have used m4 as a front-end before running the C preprocessor and compiler. The downside of this is that I can only substitute on the "main" source provided to m4, not to the code inlined by the C preprocessor through #include.

The other way around (using m4 after the C preprocessor) mostly works, but then m4 does not recognize the location markers (#line) inserted by the preprocessor and therefore most m4 errors are reported at an incorrect location, and multi-line expansions cause m4 to use wrong relative numbers in new synclines.

On top of this main issue, I would be interested to disable m4 macro expansion within C strings and comments; although I already thought about (yet another) filter between CPP and m4 to m4-quote all C strings and comments.

Do you have any suggestions on how to solve the #line-problem and more elegantly the string/comment problem?

I tried a possible route forward by replacing any occurrence of "#line X" in the m4 input by m4_define(`__line__', X), but unfortunately that doesn't seem to help. Is there an option to allow __line__ (and __file__) to be reset by macros?

Comments would be highly appreciated.

--
Raphaël “kena” Poss             address@hidden - +31 20 525 7898
Computer Systems Architecture   http://www.science.uva.nl/research/csa/