mailman

Re: Nick Dokos: Nick Dokos: posts to address@hidden are going into a bla

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: Nick Dokos: Nick Dokos: posts to address@hidden are going into a black hole.
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:20:04 -0400

Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Nick (and all),
>
>     any my messages to the address@hidden list disappear
>
> Looking at ftp://lists.gnu.org/emacs-orgmode/2010-03, I see two messages
> From: Nick Dokos <address@hidden>
>  on Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:33:28 -0400
> and Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:15:22 -0400
>
> (And assorted address@hidden stuff ... sorry for all
> these troubles.)  Maybe it's working again?

Karl,

Cross your fingers, yes: it seems to be working again. I changed my
postfix configuration so that the Sender: header would get a legal email
address on the theory that the gnu.org mail system was changed (around
Feb. 11, given the last time I was able to post to the list successfully
before this week) to do Sender Verification. IIUC, the receiving server
(gnu.org in this case) would check under certain circumstances whether
the Sender: address is legal.  Mine was not (it included the local
hostname in the address). At this point, sending to the list seems very
slow but it does seem to get through.

Do you know if there was such a Sender Verification change done on
the server around that date?

> At any rate, I see only one bounce in the mailman and exim logs, namely:
> 2010-03-26 18:23:40 1NvHwK-0001py-3R <= address@hidden H=localhost
> (lists.gnu.org) [127.0.0.1]:43635 I=[127.0.0.1]:25 P=esmtp S=4877
> address@hidden T="Re: [Orgmode] clocktable display format" from
> <address@hidden> for address@hidden
> 2010-03-26 18:23:40 1NvHwK-0001py-3R ** address@hidden F=<address@hidden>:
> all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts
>
> which sounds like a transient dns problem.

This is from the list to me: I've seen several messages with that
subject, although I don't know if I have seen this particular message;
I'll need to check message ids to make sure. But I presume that you are
right: transient problem.

> I do see all your messages (in exim) on 03-17, but am unable to trace
> what happened well enough to understand why they didn't reach the list :(.
> Sorry.
>
> My best idea at this point is to send another message and note the
> date/time (and msgid if you can), so we can more easily track it through
> the various logs.

Thanks very much for checking! The problem was driving me nuts, but it seems
to be solved at this point (famous last words...) I was actually worried
that I was blacklisted at gnu.org: I'm happy that that is not the case.

If I see a problem again, I'll let you know, but I hope that that is not
going to be necessary.

Thanks for your help,
Nick