make-alpha

Re: Non-POSIX-ism in command script interpretation

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Non-POSIX-ism in command script interpretation
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 16:10:59 -0400

It turns out that the slow path actually has almost identical code for
removing \<nl> and replacing it with a space; according to POSIX make
shouldn't even be removing the \<nl> at all, and certainly not replacing
it with a space.  The most make should do is remove any <tab> that
sequences into \<nl> sequences).

Does anyone have any comments on what "badness" (in terms of backward
incompatibility) might be introduced by leaving the \<nl> in the slow
path output, as specified by POSIX?  I can't think of any assuming that
SHELL is /bin/sh, and if it's not--well, what can you do? :).