make-alpha

Re: newline escape problem.

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: newline escape problem.
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 00:53:34 -0500

Hmm.  Interesting.

According to POSIX, setting the SHELL make variable has _NO_ effect on
make's processing.  The POSIX definition of make requires that all
commands be invoked "as if" passed directly to the system() function,
and there is no way to specify that the system() function would use a
different shell than the standard sh, of course.

The standard handles SHELL specially such that it doesn't inherit that
value from the environment nor put any make value for that variable back
into the environment of subcommands, but neither does it provide for
make to use the command provided by $(SHELL) rather than system() (or
sh).