make-alpha

Re: Naming: a rose by any other ...

From: Greg McGary
Subject: Re: Naming: a rose by any other ...
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:36:37 -0700

Hi Paul,

My preference is to use the word "recipe" to refer to the commands that build a target from its prerequisites.  The words "shell" and "command" are too generic, moreover "shell" is the name of a make builtin function.

Paul Smith wrote:
Hi all;

I've implemented the ability to change the character that introduces
command script lines from the default (tab) to any other single
character.  The behavior is: the first character of the variable is used
as the tab replacement character.  The change takes place immediately
upon setting the variable (so all rules read in after setting it are
expected to use the new character; tab will no longer be recognized as
special).  You can reset it to the default (tab) by setting the variable
to the empty string.

The problem is I'm not terribly happy with the naming.  I've never
really known what to call these things: are they "shell command lines",
"command script lines", "recipe lines", or ...?  I'd really like to find
a good name for this since the changes in the manual required for this
enhancement are scattered all over (as you can imagine).  What I need to
do is replace everywhere that talks about "lines introduced by a tab
character" with some official term that I can then describe in one place
with the details about how to change the initial character, and put this
into the concepts index etc.

I also need to have a good name for the variable that is used to set
this character.

Of course I already have a variable name since I've already implemented
the feature, but I'm not going to tell you what I'm using so that I
don't prejudice you :-).

Please let me know if you have suggestions for either or both of the
above.  If you have citations from other documents on make so much the
better; I couldn't find anything much in the POSIX definition but maybe
I wasn't looking in the right places.