make-alpha

Re: Guile support in GNU make

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Guile support in GNU make
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:57:41 +0200

> From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 11:56:35 -0500
>
> On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 13:50 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Paul, can you please show a complete Makefile that uses the above,
> > which works for you?
>
> The makefile you provided worked for me... ?

Sorry, it was due a stupid mistake on my part: the modified
build_w32.bat script didn't compile main.c with -DHAVE_GUILE.

Now that I fixed that, the makefile does work, but I also get a Guile
backtrace:

  D:\gnu\make-3.82.90_CVS.guile>gnumake -f mkfguile
  Backtrace:
  In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   162: 5 [catch #t #<catch-closure 1427e70> ...]
   170: 4 [#<procedure 148ab18 ()>]
  In unknown file:
     ?: 3 [catch-closure]
  In ice-9/eval.scm:
   389: 2 [eval # #]
   374: 1 [eval # #]
  In unknown file:
     ?: 0 [scm-error misc-error #f ...]

  ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
  ERROR: Unknown object: #<variable 1466748 value: #<procedure 146c750 at
ice-9/eval.scm:378:13 ()>>
  cat < tmp.out
  foo
  bar
  baz
  whatever
  more
  noch
  ein
  mahl

Any ideas are welcome, as all this backtrace says is that something
was evaluated and threw a misc-error.  Line 378 in eval.scm is this:

       (make-fixed-closure eval nreq body (capture-env env))

which again tells me nothing useful.

> What version of Guile are you using?

The latest, 2.0.3.

> Maybe there's something different needed for Windows.

Well, it took me almost 2 weeks to get it to build on Windows and pass
most of the test suite.  So it's hard to say Guile as it is was ready
for Windows.  Most probably some bugs remain.