make-alpha

Re: GNU make release candidate 3.99.90 available

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: GNU make release candidate 3.99.90 available
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 09:28:29 -0400

On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 13:14 -0700, Greg McGary wrote:
> The problem surfaces with programs that generate multiple output
> files combined with parallelism via -jN. An obvious example is
> yacc/bison, for which there is already aspecial-case pattern-rule.
> I need to solve the general case, whereoutput filenames don't
> fit into the naming pattern required bythe yacc/bison mechanism.

I'm interested in adding this feature; it was on my short list of things
that would be good to get in the next release.

The trick is that (a) the syntax needs to be chosen; I'm not so thrilled
about [], but that's something that can be changed pretty easily once
the implementation is available, (b) we need a good set of regression
tests for this feature, and (c) making it understandable in the
documentation will require some effort.

I'm not necessarily suggesting all these things must be completed before
the feature can be considered, but the more of them that are done or at
least attempted up-front, the less work I need to do to integrate the
new feature...