Re: exporting SHELL in dos/windows

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: exporting SHELL in dos/windows
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:52:13 -0500 (EST)

<quote who="address@hidden">
> Hi all;
>
> For POSIX compatibility the next version of GNU make doesn't export any

next meaning 3.81 or some newer version?

> value of SHELL that you set in your makefile.  Instead, the value that
> was taken from the environment when make starts is passed on in the
> environment of the sub-shell.  Note this DOES NOT impact the way in
> which make chooses which shell to invoke commands in: that still uses
> the value set in the makefile or inherited from the environment.
>
> This only impacts the value of the SHELL environment variable which is
> passed in the environment to sub-commands.
>
> If you want the make variable value to be exported you can export it
> explicitly with "export SHELL" then the make value will be passed
> through the environment.
>

> Eli doesn't think this new behavior is appropriate for the DOS port; he
> would like the old behavior back.  Is the same true for the various
> Windows ports?  Does this change break things there?

I don't really know.  For Cygwin and MSYS it wouldn't matter since they
emulate POSIX.  DOS and Win32 aren't POSIX compatible, so it might matter,
but I can't say for sure.  Perhaps enabling the current behavior with
--enable-shell-autoexport with the default disabled?

Earnie

--
      MinGW - http://www.mingw.org/
       Wiki - http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/