Re: wrong link command called

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: wrong link command called
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:18:15 +0200

> From: "Jonathan Baccash" <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:08:20 -0800
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> No, my PATH is set properly.  As I stated in my first email, the link
> command calls the correct link command if you force make to spawn a
> shell to do it, i.e. when I try something like "which link && link
> /DEBUG $^ /OUT:$@".  The problem is that GNU make uses OpenFile(), which
> first looks in the directory where make was begun, BEFORE the path.
> This is apparently not how the Cygwin shell lookup works.

The Cygwin shell is a port of Bash, and as such, it emulates the Posix
shell behavior, which is NOT to look in the current directory before
searching along PATH.  By contrast, DOS/Windows executable lookup
_always_ looks in the current working directory first.

In other words, your problem is that you mix a Cygwin port of the
shell with a non-Cygwin port of Make.  That way lies madness, so I
suggest not to do that.  If you must, prepend "." to the value of
PATH, which will cause Bash and Make to behave in the same way, as far
as executable lookup is concerned.