Re: mingw make problem

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: mingw make problem
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 00:39:29 -0400

> Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:22:47 -0400
> From: "William A. Hoffman" <address@hidden>
>
> make 3.79.1
> c:/Hoffman/testmake/runit.exe "a.c" "b.c"
> CreateProcess(C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe,C:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe
> c:\DOCUME~1\hoffman\LOCA
> LS~1\Temp\make28162.sh,...)
>
> make 3.81
> CreateProcess(C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe,C:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe -c
> "c:/Hoffman/testmake/
> runit.exe ""a.c"" ""b.c""",...)
>
> Seems like the old make used to create a .sh file to run the commands.

That's what I suspected.  I don't think we want to go back to the
batch mode, since it's slower.

So the solution still is to debug what happens on the Cygwin Bash
side.  I thought that someone already figured out the issues and
implemented the necessary code that kicks in under HAVE_CYGWIN_SHELL,
but it sounds like your testing disproves that.  Perhaps the way
Cygwin treats command-line arguments has changed since the
HAVE_CYGWIN_SHELL code was written, I don't know.

Anyway, since the Cygwin build should now support DOS style file
names, I'm not sure it is worth pursuing this avenue (although if you
are willing to spend time debugging this, I will gladly help).
Running Cygwin programs from withing non-Cygwin Make is really asking
for trouble.

> I tried setting BATCH_MODE_ONLY_SHELL to 1, but it did not seem to change
> anything.

As expected: see the commentary in config.h.W32.