Re: Environment variables in makefiles with DOS

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: Environment variables in makefiles with DOS
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 20:18:33 -0400

Quoting Paul Smith <address@hidden>:

What I've thought about is using low ASCII values for these tokens.
This would still allow makefiles to be written in UTF-8, with the
exception of some special characters.  We would need to look at the
possible characters and choose the ones we want carefully (probably
after talking to folks who know how these characters are used), but I
think we should be able to find enough characters that aren't needed
otherwise.

What about something like $"/path/to/my file"$; where $" is the token to indicate the beginning of the word and "$ indicates the end of the word? Then $"This"is"my"file"$ is a file containing the quote character. And it can be carried to other things besides a file $"treat me as one word"$. I know that this suggestion is a two character token but it leaves all characters able to be embedded in the tokenized one word.

Earnie