Re: Make CVS HEAD version build out of the box

From: grischka
Subject: Re: Make CVS HEAD version build out of the box
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:02:50 +0200

> On 04/10/2007, Paul Smith wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 21:44 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > Maybe we should simply have a wrapper for `stat' on Windows, which
> > > could remove the slashes.  Then these problems would be solved in one
> > > place once and for all.
> >
> > I was thinking about this today.  It seems like it would be a useful
> > thing to store a "canonical" name for a given file, even on POSIX
> > systems.  One minor nit is that make conflates "targets" with "files";
> > not all targets are files and it's conceivable that you wouldn't want to
> > canonicalize targets.

It might even better store both: for each file the notation as written
in the makefile and its unified representation (canonical) for stat and
friends. Basically because for dynamic variables I want to see substituted
what I originally wrote, which might also include quoting.

A (not yet) working example:

list : x\ a x\ b
    ls $^

x\ a x\ b :