Re: Switching from CVS to GIT

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Switching from CVS to GIT
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:29:38 -0400

OK, enough.  I am extremely grateful for the porting and maintenance
efforts of the GNU make porting team (since I have no Windows--or Amiga,
or OS/2, or OpenVMS--systems to maintain these ports myself) and I'm not
going to choose a tool unless it supports their environment and helps
them to work more efficiently (or at least no less efficiently).  I'm
not interested in getting into a pissing match over which operating
system is better or worse, and I'm certainly not interested in unfounded
inferences as to the character and quality of my porting team based on
the operating system they are using.

For those who have provided details and pointers regarding the state of
GIT on Windows, thank you very much for your help: it's been very useful
and Eli and others sound like they have enough information to be getting
on with for now.  If you'd like to discuss some Windows porting issues
further there are a number of extremely knowledgeable Windows / FLOSS
programmers on the address@hidden list--although they are generally
very busy.

If what you're interested in is self-congratulatory back-slapping over
the superiority of Linux/POSIX, please keep that on the GIT mailing
list, or else an advocacy forum somewhere.

I'm setting followups to the GIT list.

Cheers all!

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us