Interrupt/Exception caught (code = 0xc0000005, addr = 0x77c478ac)

From: duanec
Subject: Interrupt/Exception caught (code = 0xc0000005, addr = 0x77c478ac)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 12:22:44 -0700 (PDT)

Attached: demo.bat Makefile (both are small)

The attached demo.bat demonstrates this error for me:
    gmake.exe: Interrupt/Exception caught (code = 0xc0000005, addr =
0x77c478ac)
It demonstrates this error for the current release version
mingw32-3.81-20080326-3
  and for the prior version mingw32-3.81-2.  (I did not try any other
versions).

The conditions under which the error happens is _very_ specific (to the
extent to which I
have been able to replicate it).

The case I have been able to replicate requires the following conditions:
  - PATH envvar is _not_ set when gmake is called.
  - There are exactly 43 environment variables set when gmake is called.
  - A $(shell aCommand) function is called (creates subprocess) before
anything else is
      called.
  - The "aCommand" in the above is:
        - 168 to 175 characters in length (inclusive),
        - is not a CMD.EXE built-in command (E.g. not cd dir mkdir etc).
        - (the command can be valid or invalid - the demo.bat file
demonstrates by calling
           the non-existent program no.such.cmd.exe)

demo.bat:
  Within "setlocal" (so as not to destroy callers environment).
    Clears (unsets) all environment variables.
    Sets exactly 43 environment variables.
    Calls "gmake.exe".
      gmake.exe then crashes with:
        gmake.exe: Interrupt/Exception caught (code = 0xc0000005, addr =
0x77c478ac)

I am running on Micros**t Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack
2
http://www.nabble.com/file/p25214756/demo.bat demo.bat
http://www.nabble.com/file/p25214756/Makefile Makefile
http://www.nabble.com/file/p25214756/demo.bat demo.bat