Re: Bug: make fails to execute .BAT files with space in the path, with S

From: Erik Carstensen
Subject: Re: Bug: make fails to execute .BAT files with space in the path, with SHELL=cmd.exe
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 21:22:34 +0200

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> The first invocation of x.bat works, while the second one won't (''a' is
> not recognized as...)

It's not a bug: cmd.exe doesn't know about '..' quoting, so this
command is not supposed to work.  That it does without redirection is
sheer luck.

What I meant is that it's a GNU make bug that the first line does work.

I don't want to rock the boat any further in this regard before the
next release of Make, so I don't want to forcibly disable '..' quoting
support when cmd.exe is used.  Make worked like that forever; I think
one incompatible change per release is more than enough ;-)

That's a shame... this means that it will continue to be risky to use ' in recipes. I would count it as a single change to fix short-circuiting to actually interpret quoting like cmd.