Re: GNU make 4.2 (and 4.2.1) failing due to length of command-line

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: GNU make 4.2 (and 4.2.1) failing due to length of command-line
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 14:11:11 -0400

Hi Adrian; we try to avoid top-posting on mailing lists: instead of
including the entire email you're replying to and then writing your
response at the top, please try to include only the parts of the
message that are relevant for your reply and intersperse your response
appropriately.

The complete thread is archived on the mailing list server, so there's
no need to including the entire thing again in every message, and even
today there are many people who have limited or costly internet access.

Thanks!

On Wed, 2016-06-22 at 17:44 +0000, Adrian Muresan wrote:
> This is an interesting data-point.
> I used make 3.81 directly from SourceForge and it also failed with
> same error.
>
> C:\Users\mureadr\Desktop\A\HMI_FORGF\bld\armle-
> v7\release\fordhmi>"C:\GnuWin32\bin\make.exe" deploy_marketProperties
> --debug=vjm --print-data-base > 381-SForge.err 2>&1
> See 381-SForge.err
>
> But when I used the 3.81 that comes with the QNX SDK, it works fine

So clearly the QNX version of GNU make is not a simple build using all
the default configuration.  Since GNU make is under the GPL, the QNX
folks must provide any changes they made to it on request.

My suspicion is that, as Eli suggested, they have enabled the
BATCH_MODE_ONLY_SHELL parameter in their config.h.  You should clear
your build, make that change to your config.h to enable that, rebuild,
and see if that version behaves as you expect.