maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: Translation of MapOSMatic to Spanish

From: Maxime Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: Translation of MapOSMatic to Spanish
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:29:35 +0100

Hi,

* Jean-Guilhem Cailton <address@hidden> [2010-03-13 18:39:46]:

> >It looks like we're missing a few prefixes though (Paseo? Pje? Puerto?
> >Av?). If you have some time, could you make a few renderings of
> >cities in Spanish speaking countries (Spain, Chile, etc) and report us
> >what's not right in the indexes?

Sorry, I think I didn't make myself clear on what I mean by "missing a
few prefixes". I didn't meant we lack some translations – the two files
you provided for OCitySMap and MapOSMatic are excellent and complete
(thanks again!).

Street prefixes are used by OCitySMap to determine which part of the
street name should not be considered for the alphabetical sorting in the
index. For example, Calle del Sol would be listed as "Sol (Calle del)"
in the S section and not as "Calle del Sol" in the C section. Otherwise
we would have a lot of "Calle de", "Calle", ... making the index rather
pointless.

So we need to identify for each language, and ultimately each locale,
the street prefixes that apply.

> Paseo = Promenade      (I try to translate into English, although it
> does look like French :) )
> Pje (Pasaje) = Passage
>
> (Puerto means Harbor, but here I think it should be kept as
> "Puerto", as it it applied to streets that apparently have the name
> of cities)
>
> Av = Ave (Avenida) = Avenue

I'll add:

  Paseo
  Pasaje
  Puerto
  Ave

to the Spanish prefixes recognized by OCitySMap.  I'm wondering about
"Pje" and "Av". Are these the official short forms for Pasaje and
Avenida? Why use both "Av" and "Ave"? This could come from incorrect OSM
data, so we only want to add the correct short forms.

We also already have:

  Avenida
  Avinguda
  Calle
  Camino
  Cami
  Carrer
  Carretera
  Plaza
  Plaça
  Ronda

Do you see any other prefix that is used in Spanish-speaking countries?

Thanks!
- Maxime
--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>
 ``One by one, the penguins took away my sanity.''