maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Idea: Re-render a finished job

From: Maxime Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Idea: Re-render a finished job
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 16:13:22 +0200

Hi,

Following-up...

* David MENTRE <address@hidden> [2010-03-24 14:43:46]:

> > - I create a job (of a admin. boundary or bbox)
> > - I made some changes in openstreetmap
> > - Wait two or three days
> > - Search the finished job
> > - Click on "re-render this job": this button clear all the files and
> > send the same job to the queue again.
> >
> > But the button appears only 2 or 3 days after the work is created.
>
> Interesting. A variant of this would but to have URLs that contain the
> chosen parameters explicitly encoded (GET URLs). It would then be
> possible to bookmark and copy/paste such URLs.
>
> Something like: http://maposmatic.org/new/lang=fr_FR/lat,lon=1.56,2.45/...

Instead of having parameters encoded into a GET URL (GET requests should
not trigger data creation in general, so in our case it should not
directly create a job request or reschedule a job), I propose that we
have "Request again" buttons on each job, only available 48 hours after
the job completion/failure.

To avoid too much to the already crowded interface, I suggest these
buttons be located on the top right corner of each "job box", and only
appearing when the cursor enters a given job box.

This button would do a POST to /recreate with the job ID in the payload.
The form handler would then extract the job's parameters and create a
new one in the database (I'd prefer to have *new* jobs created rather
than the original job overwritten), finally redirecting the user to this
new job in the queue.

If this looks like a good solution for everyone, I'll most likely go
ahead and implement it this week.

- Maxime
--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>
 ``One by one, the penguins took away my sanity.''