maposmatic-dev

[Maposmatic-dev] [Maposmatic] Generalising paper sizes, possibly simplif

From: Jeroen van Rijn
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] [Maposmatic] Generalising paper sizes, possibly simplifying its configuration
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 21:26:28 +0200

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 20:54, Jeroen van Rijn <address@hidden> wrote:
> So in short you could say 16,800 cm², which given the lack of
> dimensions is useless, or 120 cm x 140 cm, which is useful.

libpaper seems to agree:

$ paperconf -c -s -p a4 # show size of a4 in centimetres
21 cm 29.7 cm

$ paperconf -m -s -p a4 # show size of a4 in millimetres
210 mm 297 mm

$ paperconf -s # show size of default paper (a4 in my case) in
Postscript units (1/72th of an inch)
595.276 841.89

$ paperconf -a # list all paper sizes by name, quite a few

I imagine it wouldn't be hard to write a python class to encapsulate
this knowledge. A dict keyed on paper name holding a tuple of
dimenions, at its base. The configuration could then be simplified to
listing minimum and maximum dimensions you want ocitysmap to tackle,
on the basis of design/layout and runtime.

Indeed, if libpaper is installed on the system, this python class
might even be built on the fly during a 'make install' pass and defer
to a supplied version if libpaper is missing.

Yes/No/Cancel?

Jeroen.

--
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA[Start]