maposmatic-dev

[Maposmatic-dev] [task #11707] adding gpx to describe paths

From: Jeroen van Rijn
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] [task #11707] adding gpx to describe paths
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:59:22 +0000

Update of task #11707 (project maposmatic):

         Should Start On:                         => Tue 10 Apr 2012 12:00:00
AM GMT
   Should be Finished on:                         => Tue 10 Apr 2012 12:00:00
AM GMT
describe paths

Follow-up Comment #2:

There is a GPX library for python, available under the Apache License 2, which
as far as I'm aware is AGPLv3 compatible.

GPXpy library <https://github.com/tkrajina/gpxpy>

It could be used to add custom routes to the map, as well as custom waypoints,
in case these details aren't salient where the upstream OSM-data is
concerned.

How best to implement this?

Maybe a flexible layer system added to the render base class where optional
passes can be put on the stack.

First the background would be pushed, then the map, then the grid, then the
index and footer, etc. These get popped off the top by the renderer, which
calls the appropriate method to render that pass onto the canvas.

If you wanted a custom layer, say waypoints from a GPX file, you'd insert it
into the stack at the appropriate spot before kicking off the renderer.

Point of note: Waypoint's name would have to be added to the Index too, so
these optional render passes (if that turns out to be the way to do it) should
be able to twiddle that index data.

It all needs to be styled as well.

All in all not a small task, but has a possible side effect of making the
render class more flexible. Also opens the way for adding KML support for the
same purpose.

If rendering this kind of optional information works out, it would
additionally be useful for [https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?10118 task
#10118: Allow creation of route-planning maps.

I'll start researching this in a topic branch, see where it goes. If it leads
to something useable, I'll fire off some patches. I'd be able to use this
personally and professionally, so I'll give it a go.

Fair warning: Could take a few months with my schedule as it is, though, so if
it doesn't go anywhere I'll unassign myself from the task again. ;)

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?11707>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/