maposmatic-dev

[Maposmatic-dev] Outstanding points before releasing MapOSMatic

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] Outstanding points before releasing MapOSMatic
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 23:45:23 +0200

Hello,

Tonight, I have:
 * Integrated the translations patches submitted by Jeroen, except the
   MapOSMatic one for norvegian, causing too many conflicts
 * Applied Gaël's patches on the scale problems
 * Applied my patches to allow the translation of the stylesheet names
   and layout names

Here are some remaining issues, and I have the unfortunate feeling that
the list is growing rather than reducing, so I'm fearing that we will
(again) not release MapOSMatic soon... or at least not as soon as we
wanted to do it.

 * Many translations are still out of date, though I will not consider
   this as a blocker for the release. See attached file for the current
   status of the translations.

 * Gaël patches on the scale problem has also changed significantly the
   scale of booklets. The city of Chavagne required sixteen A4 portrait
   pages before Gaël patches (just for the divided map) and now
   requires 28 pages (just for the divided map) after Gaël patches. I
   think the previous version with 16 pages was readable, so I guess we
   should change the scale used for booklets to something more
   reasonable.

   See http://dev.maposmatic.org/smedia/chavagne.pdf (before) and

http://dev.maposmatic.org/rendered/000472_2012-04-10_23-18_ChavagneRennesIlleetVilaineBrittany35310France.pdf
   (after).

   Patches welcome.

 * Renderings of Paris in booklet mode is timeout-ing on the main
   server, taking more than 20 minutes to complete. We could solve this
   by further increasing the accepted maximum rendering duration up to
   30 or 40 minutes.

 * The automated updates of the planet database have stopped, and we
   don't know how to start them again. We have hit the period during
   which the OSM database was read-only and things seem to have changed
   with regard to the upgrade process. So our replication lag is
   growing again, and we don't know how to fix it, see
   http://stats.maposmatic.org/r2d2/browse/gcc20.fsffrance.org/replication/.
   Maxime and I will try to send an e-mail to the OSM community
   tomorrow to have some feedback on this.

 * The MapQuest stylesheets on the server are broken. The rendering
   fails with:

  File
"/home/maposmatic/maposmatic-dev/ocitysmap/ocitysmap2/maplib/map_canvas.py",
line 100, in __init__
    mapnik.load_map(self._map, stylesheet.path)
RuntimeError: The following nodes or attributes were not processed while
parsing the xml file:
* node 'MaxScaleDenominator' in line 0
* node 'MaxScaleDenominator' in line 0
* node 'MaxScaleDenominator' in line 0
* node 'MaxScaleDenominator' in line 0
* node 'MaxScaleDenominator' in line 0
* node 'MaxScaleDenominator' in line 0

 * We have a regular Out-of-memory issue on the rendering server, but
   unfortunately, the kernel seems to be unable to kill the
   memory-hungry process and simply crashes the VM. This is the reason
   for the last 2/3 outages of the maposmatic.org site. A potential
   solution would be to start the rendering daemon with a fixed ulimit
   so that the process gets killed when it consumes too much memory.

As you can see, we have many outstanding issues, and some of them are
no necessarily easy to fix.

Best regards,

Thomas
--