maposmatic-dev

[Maposmatic-dev] [bug #36166] Index categories on two lines improperly s

From: Jeroen van Rijn
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] [bug #36166] Index categories on two lines improperly supported
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 08:47:12 +0000

Follow-up Comment #3, bug #36166 (project maposmatic):

The bug itself is a very tough one to crack, as to fix it properly you'd have
to have an understanding of hyphenation rules for all supported languages.
>From what I gather, Knuth's hyphenation rules as used in Tex are elegant.

There is a PD implementation of that algorithm available for Python, see:
http://nedbatchelder.com/code/modules/hyphenate.py

Unfortunately, trying it on the original 'Bildungseinrichtungen' gives:
Bil-dung-sein-rich-tun-gen instead of Bil-dungs-ein-richt-ung-en

So rather than build a list of exceptions for all supported languages, I see
two other possibilities:

1) Find shorter descriptions as we come across bugs
2) Measure the translated text and if wider than the column, dial back the
point size until it fits.

Even though amenities don't change on a daily basis, to me 2 is a more elegant
solution as it doesn't paper over the defect.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?36166>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/