mibble-users

Re: [Mibble-users] Transitive imports

From: Per Cederberg
Subject: Re: [Mibble-users] Transitive imports
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 21:21:53 +0200

As far as I understand, transitive imports are incorrect in ASN.1.
Which is the reason that Mibble reports them as an error.

The Mibble parser was originally written to be a strict, validating
parser. So that it can be used to check MIB files when authoring them.
But these days, I guess Mibble is more used for reading MIB files from
various sources. And the strict error checking is more of an
annoyance.

I guess this type of error should definitely become a warning instead.
I'll be sure to look into it more in detail next time I revise the
library. Meanwhile, you might try to adjust the code yourself (since
the source code is available). Check out the implementation of this
method in various classes (MibImport, MibContext, etc):

    public MibSymbol findSymbol(String name, boolean expanded);

Cheers,

/Per