Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] [patch] Copyright 2010

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] [patch] Copyright 2010
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:57:00 +0100

Mark Brand <address@hidden> schrieb:
> > Mark Brand wrote:
> >> Here's a patch for the new year. It's not as sinister as it sounds.
[...]
> How does Volker want this?

Thanks for the work, but I currently try to stick with FSF / Savannah
recommendations.

Those state that we shouldn't use ranges like "2008 - 2010", but
should use an explicit list like "2008, 2009, 2010". Also, changing
the lowest year is a kind of unwanted historical manipulation.
The same for updating the highest year without actually changing
anything in the source. They also recommend to put a copyright notice
into each source file instead of having one for the whole project.

Having said that, I personally don't like the years and copyright
statements altogether, because we're using a version control system
that already keeps track of authors, dates, etc.

In addition, these requirements are mostly for US law, which some
time ago AFAIK changed, such that the year numbers aren't important
anymore.

So from my personal POV, I'd like to remove the whole bunch of
years and copyright statements. One such statement in doc/index.html
should be sufficient. The only reason I'm keeping them is to comply
with the FSF recommendations.

Does anyone have more insight into that topic, and could share
some thoughts on it?

Greets,

    Volker

--