Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] msys port?

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] msys port?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 23:39:31 +0100

Marcel Wysocki <address@hidden> schrieb:
> i was just wondering if there is any effort/interest
> to port mingw cross env to msys,

First of all, I recommend to install "andLinux" http://andlinux.org/
which provides a proper Linux on top of your Windows system.
It's a kind of "reverse Wine", i.e. it works without virtualization,
emulation or dual-boot.

Although noone tried it yet, I'm pretty sure that Mingw-cross-env
should run inside andLinux. If you try that, please let us know
whether you were successful.

Having said that, it might also be possible to run Mingw-cross-env
on top of MSYS. First, you'll have to meet at least all requirements
as noted in the docs: http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#requirements

Then, you'll probably have to add some additional stuff which is
needed by some packages, but which is provided on all Unix systems
so it isn't stated explicitly in the docs. If you encounter such
"hidden requirements" for MSYS, please let us know. Perl or Python
might be such hidden requirements. Maybe there are more.

Note that there's currently no interest in supporting MSYS, so you
are mostly on your own. (To everyone on this list: please correct me
if I'm wrong!)

However, I'd be happy to add some notes about MSYS to the docs,
and I'll also accept compatibility patches. So feel free to
experiment with MSYS and Mingw-cross-env! I'd be very interested
to hear about your positive as well as negative results.

Greets,

    Volker

--
Volker Grabsch