Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] call for testing: support for lzma archives

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] call for testing: support for lzma archives
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:30:50 +1000

Hello again, it's been a while and I'm slowly catching up.

On 29 August 2010 19:28, Mark Brand <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> It looks like we need to add support for unpacking .tar.lzma archives. The
> new w32api from MinGW has this format.
>
> There are several ways to unpack these, some of which are:
>
> tar xf foo.tar.lzma
> tar xJf tar.lzma
> tar -x --lzma -f foo.tar.lzma
> xz -dc -F lzma foo.tar.lzma  | tar -x
>
> It would be nice if some users could tell us which is best for your system,
> particularly if you are not using a recent version of tar. I wonder if we
> have to resort to the last method.

On FreeBSD 8.1, the first succeeds. Adding libarchive or gtar (with
symlinks from bsdtar/gtar to tar), allows the second and third to
work. The last method needs a filename of "-" to read from stdin:

xz -dc -F lzma foo.tar.lzma  | tar -xf -

On OSX 10.6, adding either libarchive or gnutar (with links from
bsdtar/gnutar to tar) allows any of the first three to work. Port
xz-devel is required for the last one.

On Ubuntu 10.04, the first three work, the last requires xz-utils.

Tony