Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] blas, cblas, lapack, suitesparse [was Re: sui

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] blas, cblas, lapack, suitesparse [was Re: suitesparse support - help request]
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 01:20:53 +1000

On 15 July 2010 17:43, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Alois Schlögl <address@hidden> schrieb:
>>> I think that depends on getting a working BLAS/LAPACK. I started
>>> having a look at Atlas, but it seems to have a very arcane
>>> configuration.
>>
>> Yes, Atlas tries to do some performance test in order to identify the
>> optimal configuration.
>> Because, the final target platform is not available at built time, some
>> workaround is needed.
>
> Note that this is a general issue with packages that are not aware
> of cross compiling. Usually this problem affects code generators,
> in which case we simply compile them with the native instead of the
> cross compiler.
>
> However, (performance) test programs are a bigger issue. It might
> be a good idea to contact the upstream project and to ask them
> whether they indent to make their packages suitable for cross
> compiling. They are usually in a better position to fix that than
> we are, especially if it has to be fixed deeply in their build
> scripts.

After reading a little more about Atlas, it seems specifically
designed to be built from source on the machine it's going to run on.
Cross-compiling, or binary distribution in general, goes against the
intent of it's build system. It looks like it's targeted at people who
like/need to get the maximum performance from their processor.
Probably not a likely candidate for cross-compling to win32 :)

Tony