Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] OpenAL: applications and test programs crash

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] OpenAL: applications and test programs crash
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 21:23:26 +0100

Mark Brand <address@hidden> schrieb:
>> I found the problem. OpenAL has initialization and deinitialization
>> functions alc_init() and alc_deinit(), defined in Alc/ALc.c. On Windows,
>> these are called via automatic execution of DllMain by default. In our
>> case, we have to use the gcc constructor/destructor attributes instead,
>> like non-Windows platforms do.
>>
>> The attached patch makes this change by augmenting the
>> openal-1-fixes.patch file.
>>

> Committed. Thanks.
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/df02f966cc6f

Sorry for nitpicking, and please yell at me if I'm work, but ...

1) Doesn't this patch disable all thread safety in OpenAL?

   I'm asking because the patch does not only remove the DllMain()
   stuff, but also the GCC constructor/destructor attributes ...

2) Shouldn't we add the calls to alc_init() and alc_deinit()
   to the test program, as those won't be called automatically
   anymore?

3) Is it possible to formulate the patch in a portable way,
   so we can contribute this fix to upsteam?

Greets,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch