Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] output directory names

From: Dmitry Groshev
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] output directory names
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 13:16:45 +0300

On 08/12/2010, Mark Brand <address@hidden> wrote:
> However, sometimes it's still hard to predict the output directory from
> the package name, version, and filename. For example, the latest sqlite
> comes in a tarball called "sqlite-autoconf-3070400.tar.gz" but unpacks
> to "sqlite-3.7.4". I know Volker has used make functions to manipulate
> the strings, but it is still a nuisance to maintain.
> I am wondering if we should inspect the tarball file for the output
> directory before unpacking it.  It might be done along these lines:

Here is a simple solution to the problem, which I put in the
buildscript that compiles Windows libs for my project.
Unpack the tarball into an empty temporary directory, and then just
rename the directory created in there, its name notwithstanding, to a
name derived from the package name, and move it to the final location.
No need to know, or guess, the original name then - there will be
nothing else in the temp directory, so referring to it as
"$(tempdir)/*" will work perfectly well.

--
-= With best regards, Dmitry Groshev =-