Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] ImageMagick vs. GraphicsMagick

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] ImageMagick vs. GraphicsMagick
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 16:44:22 +0100

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> On 12 December 2010 09:29, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > The website also lists "some reasons to prefer GraphicsMagick
> > over ImageMagick".
> >
> > I'm using GraphicsMagick for private stuff as well as in
> > production code without any problems.
>
> Looks interesting, have you played with the OpenMP enabled versions?

I don't have any own benchmarks on that, but at least I had no
trouble with OpenMP in GraphicsMagick under C, C++, Python and
Ruby.

However, when I built a native Java extension under Linux,
any internal exception of my extension lead to a segmentation
fault, even if it was caught within the extension, so the
Java runtime didn't ever see it. That seemed to be some conflict
between OpenJDK's thread handling and that of GOMP. This
was really hard to debug and the only solution was disabling
OpenMP in GraphicsMagick. But I don't know whether it was the
fault of GraphicsMagick, GOMP or OpenJDK.

> The benchmarks seem impressive. Maybe time to revisit our gcc build as
> we'll have something known-to-work to test with.

Feel free to play with that. :-)

Greets,
Volker

--