Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Package warnings (was License issue / depende

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Package warnings (was License issue / dependencies on OpenSSL)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:37:39 +0100

Tony Theodore schrieb:
> On 26 February 2011 00:46, Lothar May <address@hidden> wrote:
> [snip...]
> > and maybe a build time warning if an implicit OpenSSL
> > dependency is encountered.
>
> How do you see this being implemented? A simple echo during the build
> is likely to be lost in scrolling or ignored if you see it enough. I
> think it would have to be new make target like "check-conflicts" that
> either behaves like the current "check-requirements" (fails until
> resolved) or prints a message at the end.

That kind of "check-conflicts" would, among others, always
warn on the default build. This would be very irritating and
might do more harm than good.

The general issue here is that it's not about what's being
_built_ but about what's being _used_. We can't reliably
determine this at build time, we can only guess.

In the end, it's always up to the developer. The only things
we can really do is:

a) provide sensible defaults
b) provide good documentation

Static linking always raises some special issues with GPL
licensed software, so I fully agree that we should provide
a summary of all licensing issues that come with static
linking and our design decision for feature completeness.

> A general package conflict system might be handy (say the new gtk3
> conflicts with gtk2 somehow - as an example), but that may be
> introducing a lot of complexity for little benefit.

Yes, that would be going too far.

If two packages (or package versions) can't co-exist, we'll
either have to _make_ them co-exist, or we'll have to make
a decision.

Greets,
Volker

--