[Mingw-cross-env-list] Poll: Who is using GTK? (was: gtk 3.0)

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Poll: Who is using GTK? (was: gtk 3.0)
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 06:02:15 +0100

Tony Theodore schrieb:
> On 13 February 2011 21:05, Martin Gerhardy <address@hidden> wrote:
> > how should one handle a package for the new gtk version? adding a new
> > package gtk3 (because there might be a lot of projects out there that
> > will never add gtk3 compatibility)
>
> This is where I got to with gtk3, the test program works much the same
> as gtk2. [...]
> No luck with the static linking investigation so far - every (and I
> mean every) thing I've read indicates that it's really not the done
> thing, especially on/for windows.

When I originally patched gtk2, I already had some experience with
lots of other packages. Yet it took me days to get it even compile
a simple GTK hello world application. And it is still impossible to
make it work for big applications. Since static linking is absolutely
no focus of the GTK project (although they'd accept clean portability
patches), we can't expect things to become better anytime soon. From
what you report I guess that gtk3 even raises some new issues. Also,
unfortunately, I don't have the time to assist you with that.

Before you put more energy into this, maybe we should first ask
around on this list:

    Is there anyone using the (statically linked) GTK of
    mingw-cross-env in a real application?

It would be helpful to have an overview of the demand (who's
really using it) before deciding how to proceed.

Greets,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch