Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] New package proposal: libircclient

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] New package proposal: libircclient
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 17:21:00 +1000

On 27 May 2011 05:53, Lothar May <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for the delay, I was busy moving...
>
> 2011/3/13 Tony Theodore <address@hidden>:
>> On 11 March 2011 12:59, Lothar May <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> please find enclosed the proposed new package libircclient.
>>> Since "make install" is broken, I install the required files by hand
>>> (the same files as with libircclient 1.3 on Ubuntu/Debian are
>>> installed, in the same structure, and they are sufficient for
>>> developing).
>>> The Makefile is also broken, a patch is included.
>>
>> That seems reasonable, though I wonder if it's also worth fixing the
>> install target if you're patching Makefile.in anyway.
>
> I just tried for over an hour to do this. However, the build of
> libircclient seems to be totally broken, even the prefix is unknown in
> this makefile, although set in configure. I gave up and left the
> install commands in the .mk file.
>
>>> IPv6 support suffers
>>> from a buffer overflow issue and works only partly, is therefore also
>>> disabled.
>>
>> I'm not sure this is actually disabled, the only place config.h is
>> used is in portable.c, and then only for non-win32 builds.
>
> I've added a patch to force it to be disabled.
>
>>> I can use the resulting lib for PokerTH, so in my case it works fine.
>>>
>>> I'm unsure about the define $(PKG)_UPDATE-part (was copied from
>>> another package).
>>
>> This looks okay and returns the right result.
>>
>>> I'm also unsure about the "rcu" options to ar, they were also copied
>>> because it did not work without them.
>>
>> You could get by with just "cr", but a better option is to pass
>>
>> --host='$(TARGET)'
>
> I've changed this, thanks for the hint.
>

>> to configure. That way you can simply call make without CC/AR etc.
>>
>>> One question remains: The example program, if build in strict ANSI
>>> mode, requires -DWIN32 because libircclient considers WIN32 instead of
>>> _WIN32. Should I create a patch for libircclient and remove this
>>> define?
>>
>> I'd say so, it's a fairly simple patch (you should also remove the U__*).
>
> I've added a patch, and also removed the U__... option.
>
> Attached are the new files. Any more feedback is appreciated.

Hi Lothar,

Thanks for the contribution! I just included it:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/b22769154ba3

along with some formatting/style changes:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/c6fa9422ae2f
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/b420ff8870c2

Cheers,

Tony