Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Release 2.22

From: Stefan Löffler
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Release 2.22
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:02:11 +0200

Hi,

thanks for the info.

On 2012-04-13 12:01, Volker Grabsch wrote:
>> And in the latter case: does the makefile handle
>> changes intelligently (i.e., it only rebuilds what has actually changed,
>> instead of the whole tree)?
> Well, yes and no.
>
> Yes, a package is only rebuilt if one of its *.mk or *.patch
> files has changed. Or, if one of its dependency packages has
> been rebuilt.
>
> No, this is not an overly intelligent mechanism. From time
> to time there are non-functional changes to the *.mk files
> which cause a rebuilt of the package although it is not
> really necessary.
>
> However, we try to do the latter kind of changes only in
> the development (master) branch, so you won't encounter
> that issue in the stable branch.

Sounds good. Primarily, I want to avoid rebuilding Qt (which takes
several hours on my machine) ;).
Out of curiosity (and because I'm not a git expert): when switching
branches (or cloning), does the makefile think this is a change of *.mk?
(the packages themselves should not be touched, AFAIK, as they are not
versioned).

>> A subsequent `make lua` failed with the following error:
> [...]
>> It turned out that /opt/mxe-stable/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib/pkgconfig/
>> did not exist (and hence `install ...` failed). I'm not sure, though, if
>> this is a problem in MXE itself or in src/lua.mk.
> Thanks for noticing! This is a bug in src/lua.mk, I guess
> there's some "install -d ... .../lib/pkgconfig" missing.

Yes, in the meantime I was able to track that down, too, and opened a
pull request (https://github.com/mxe/mxe/pull/13).

HTH
Stefan