Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] git branch makes MXE recompile everything

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] git branch makes MXE recompile everything
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 09:35:27 +0200

William schrieb:
> Hello,
> I noticed this very bad thing : if you are on the mxe directory, and
> change the branch :
> $ git checkout my_branch
> then go back to master :
> $ git checkout master
> Then MXE is tricked and if you want to compile something, it
> recompile everything !
> This does not happen all the time, I think that it only happens when
> the branch actually changes some files, don't known which ones.

This usually only happens if some very basic package
file has changed. For instance, if your branch uses a
different GCC version than master, this might easily
happen.

Having that said, if you switch branches, only those
packages should be rebuilt which have been changed over
the branches (and also their dependent packages, of course).
Otherwise, it's a bug.

If you think your branch diverged too much from master,
you might want to merge it, or even better: to rebase
it on master.

    git checkout my_branch
    git rebase master

Also, I recommend to check your branches before and
after each suck operation via:

    git show-branch

Or, if the above command shows too many branches:

    git show-branch master my_branch

> Does anybody have an idea how to solve this ?

If you think this is really a bug (i.e. MXE rebuilds more
than what was changed), please provide a short, but detailed
description so others can reproduce the bug.

> Personnaly, I am not a big fan of branches, but Volker asks us to
> use them before sending pull requests ;-)

It's not just me, it's also GitHub forcing you to use
branches for pull requests. :-)

Regards,
Volker

--