Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Geda/PCB build

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Geda/PCB build
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 19:12:04 +1100

On 03/03/2013, at 2:44 AM, Enoch <address@hidden> wrote:

> There is a solution, can you add geda-gaf and geda-pcb to MXE make
> targets.

MXE's focus is on compilers, libraries, and interpreters (developer tools in
general). Where an application is useful for developers (say gdb.exe or
sqlite.exe) we'll include it, but neither of the geda projects fall into that
category. We're happy to help with any build issues you encounter, and welcome
any proposals to make mxe more useful, but we can't take on building a
project's applications.

> There you can patch their gd config as you like.

Both minipack and mxe have to work around this, so it's better to get it fixed
upstream.

> Hearing that
> perhaps we can draw the attention of some of their developers.

You may get more traction if you give them something more concrete to work on.
For example, build PCB and share it with some of your colleagues/clients.
Gather some feedback then approach the geda team with "I've built PCB using mxe
like this… and done some testing with x people. All these functions work… and
these don't… Additionally, people like the single file static executable…" The
number of users in your test only has to be greater than zero ;)

For the things that don't work, you can check against the "official" version to
see if it's an mxe related issue, then ask here for some help. Try to be
specific about any issues you're having and narrow them down. For example, the
gd patches and minipack mentioned in your initial question are largely red
herrings - an mxe build of this would have worked six months ago if it was
framed as a technical question with the supporting logs etc.

Cheers,

Tony