Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE newbie, question: Mac OS X ?

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE newbie, question: Mac OS X ?
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 14:15:05 +1100

On 3 Apr 2014, at 08:00, Michel Briand <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've tried MXE and I want to great you all, nice project !
>
> I would like to know if MXE could be used to cross build from Linux to
> Windows AND Mac OS X ?

MXE is designed in a way that would theoretically allow OS X builds, however,
the build itself is very tedious and a changing target. See the IMCROSS
project[1] for an outline of the steps just to obtain the SDK.

Since then, Apple have moved from `gcc` to `clang` and I know every update to
Xcode breaks MXE running on OS X - I imagine cross-building would be an even
greater pain of keeping up. They’re also pushing the App Store and signed
binaries, so you’d have to figure out a way of obtaining the correct
certificates (from Apple) or instruct your users to change their security
settings to allow unsigned binaries.

All in all, it’s a lot of work and doesn’t seem like a “fun” exercise the way a
Linux target[2] would be.

Cheers,

Tony

[1] http://www.sandroid.org/imcross/