Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE and wclang

From: Thomas Pöchtrager
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE and wclang
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 19:46:51 +0200

Am 2014-04-15 17:47, schrieb Tony Theodore:

> On 15 Apr 2014, at 16:11, Nagaev Boris <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> There are great tools MXE and wclang. MXE automates build of windows
>> binaries from Linux, wclang wrapps clang for cross-compilation to
>> Windows. Why not to use them together? Could developers of MXE
>> integrate wclang into MXE?
>
> Hi Boris,
>
> wclang looks like overkill if we were going to introduce clang support in
> MXE. We’d have a specific version to support and predictable paths, so would
> simply use shell wrappers for the cross-tools (as we do with pkg-config).
> We’d probably also use the llvm equivalents of binutils and build the runtime
> from source (it’s not clear how much wclang depends on an existing
> cross-toolchain).
>
> From the looks of it, you can probably already use both yourself - with some
> symlinks and $PATH manipulation. There’s some hard-coded gcc/g++ calls in MXE
> (particularly test invocations), and we could be better about respecting “CC".
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tony

Hi,

wclang uses the mingw toolchain (including its libs, headers, linker,
windres, ...) therefore it should work out of the box.

But I guess porting all packages would be a lot of work and I don't
think its worth the effort.

Another aspect is that the LLVM/Clang team doesn't seem to care a lot
about the mingw target anymore (as they have an MSVC target now - which
is indeed much more important).

Regards,
Thomas Pöchtrager