Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] stale files after update

From: Timothy Gu
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] stale files after update
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 03:36:00 +0000

Hi,

Yes the current recommended method for doing such things is `make clean`. Most people know better than doing `make uninstall` ;) We have no plans for doing things like file lists as file lists would dramatically increase the complexity and decrease the maintainability of MXE, even for auto-generated file lists.

Regarding the suggestion of using rpm, I personally do not think that is a good idea. If anything, we would be using a more source-oriented package managers like ebuild or pacman, but the simplicity of GNU Make is what keeps me as well as many users using MXE in the first place.

If you prefer a “real” package manager you should check out projects like win-builds. They might suit your appetite better than MXE. But again I personally appreciate the simplicity and reliability of MXE, as I can tweak it easily without getting too deep into Python or C++.

Timothy
On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 10:59 PM Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> The correct way would be to have the old package doing a `make
> uninstall' before removing the package with `make clean'.

s/clean/clean-pkg/

    Werner