Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE packages as APT

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE packages as APT
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 10:16:43 +0100

Nagaev Boris schrieb:
> I propose building all MXE packages to .deb packages and distributing
> them as public APT repository. I want this: `apt-get install
> mxe-qt-i686-pc-mingw32-static`

It is a recurring request for us to distribute binary packages, and
indeed there are several Windows cross-compiling packages for DEB as
well as RPM, although these are not MXE packages, but written by other
people/teams.

Related to that, there are also recurring requests for being able to
uninstall MXE packages - more specifically, to uninstall old versions
of MXE packages.  This is a tightly related topic.

> One of advantages is using in CI. Installing .deb package is much
> easier and faster than compiling MXE and a package in CI. Moreover,
> Travis CI provides caching proxy for APT.

Travis CI is an interesting use case I haven't thought of.  Does it
only cache APT repositories, or would it also cache, say, a bunch
of *.tar.xz downloads?

> Has anybody tried this approach?

I don't think so.  These are recurring requests, but nobody has yet
taken the time to push that forward.  As of now, we don't even have
coherent concept for discussion.  That is, we may risk that people
spend their limited time running into different directions.

I believe it is time to push this forward.  Although I can't
contribute much "manpower", I can at least try to provide a concept.
I will write that down in a separate email.  Stay tuned. :-)

Regards,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch