mit-scheme-devel

[MIT-Scheme-devel] Re: problems with the x86-64 build on OS X 10.5

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Re: problems with the x86-64 build on OS X 10.5
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 19:26:31 -0800

Just to clarify:

1. To build 64-bit native code from a liarc build, the liarc build
must have been compiled as a 64-bit executable.  Likewise with 32-bit.
 By default, Xcode generates 32-bit executables (though I think Xcode
3.2.x defaults to 64-bit), so it's necessary to override this during
compilation; I normally use

    CFLAGS="-arch x86_64" LDFLAGS="-arch x86_64" etc/make-liarc.sh

These flags are automatically supplied when building native
executables; it's only necessary to specify them in the case of liarc
executables that differ from the default.

2. MacOS 10.5.x definitely supports "-arch x86_64", but that's a
function of the Xcode install rather than the operating system.  Using
recent Xcode 3.1.x I have had no trouble using this arch.

3. Spaces in directory names are supposed to be OK, but I think we
need more quoting in the makefiles to get that working.  At some point
I'll put that effort in.