Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey-users

From: Martin
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] mldonkey-users
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 21:42:38 +0100

Leon Every wrote...
> Just out of curiosity. Why and how did 1.16 harm the network?
> There were several discussions on forums where I might have to
> apologize, depending on this.

* V1.16 used tcp to connect to servers, normal clients use udp. For
  protocol reasons tcp-packets must be answered - OTOH a server can drop
  udp-packets if he has heavy load. so old mldonkey forced the servers
  to answer even if they are already dropping official clients.
  BTW: mldonkey still uses tcp to send sources to other mldonkeys

* V1.16 had some timeout settings connecting to clients and servers
  that got mldonkey better chances for downloads than official
  clients. By now any client using those timeouts will get kicked from
  most servers because old mldonkey asked too much and too often for new
  sources

* V1.16 still had some bugs that put more load on the servers than
  needed by asking again and again for the same files

there are some more i cant remember right now but these should already
be enough not to use 1.16

PS: Please read the rules for participating in a mailing list
mentioned in my signature.