[Mldonkey-users] Re: compressed transfer mode

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: compressed transfer mode
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 04:31:21 +0100

crazee_canuck <address@hidden> wrote:
> Wednesday, September 11, 2002, 9:57:07 AM, Ivo wrote:

>> Would that make much of a difference? Most shared files are (should be)
>> compressed already; would extra compression make it much smaller?

> I agree, all files *SHOULD* be compressed already...but sadly, I see a
> lot of CD images that are not compressed (i.e., 800MB images that once
> compressed are a much smaller 600MB). Compressing EVERYTHING would be
> utterly stupid, to that I totally agree, but what about "selective"
> and "intelligent" compression method, either by extension (i.e., .bin,
> .cue, .txt, .iso, .exe are compressed, others are excluded) or
> examining the header of the file, as the *NIX command file does?

Given todays "normal" bandwidth of about 768kbit/s, even an old 486
should be able to transparently compress a data stream with for example
libz, as long as you don't try to squeeze out the last bits, like with
-9 from gzip.

So no need to select what to compress, just compress everything, even if
it is compressed, it won't hurt too much.

S°

--
BOFH excuse #145:
Flat tire on station wagon with tapes.